I suspect "not common" is a better choice of words, but yes.....I think that's only maybe the 4th pair I've ever seen, and that over a long period of years...
Despite the sellers wishful description, i believe these are original Altec boxes.
These have to be fairly rare, no?
Mint1960 altec lansing custom speaker set - eBay (item 110436715623 end time Sep-29-09 15:39:59 PDT)
http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Altec/1959-h.jpg
Not all vegetables make good leaders.

I suspect "not common" is a better choice of words, but yes.....I think that's only maybe the 4th pair I've ever seen, and that over a long period of years...
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
A clever copy of original enclosure by the look of it
--no badge on grille, legs a little shorter than original?,
511 not green.

I just glanced at the first picture...the auction post does say the cabs are "custom"
It's possible a horn could have been replaced....but there is no real proof the cabinets are that old.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Economic recession brings all sorts of things out for sale--lower quality at first-- (fake Lagunas and those fake Olympus in other thread)(very nice woodwork in both instances).
As the recession morphs into a depression, you'll start to see real Lagunas come out from hiding.
Yes, definitely copies. There doesnt seem to be any compressed fiberglass around the horn opening and the tops are not beveled on the ends. Not braced as well. Not original cloth. Probably not that old. Probably still sound great.
The give away is the lack of shape in the front legs.
The Ad claims they are made out of "rosewood" and internal picture indicates solid wood baffle/panels. It would be something if it is indeed "true rosewood" Rosewood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ( very desirable and endangered today)
Perhaps in 1960 it might have been readily obtainable for reasonabe price - this being an era before the "save the rainforest" activism.
By coincidence I was in local Steinway dealer yesterday where they display a 100 year old Steinway Grand piano and was mesmerized by its beautiful wood. I asked if it was "walnut" and he said "no, rosewood" .
Those enclosue are not made of Rosewood. They are veneeed and not that good a job, from the pics in the auction. The veneer might be some type of Rosewood but since everything in the description is somewhat tenuous, I would doubt it. For those needing more intimate knowledge of the wood species and images:Wood pics BTW, the individual that hosts this wood species site has done an outstanding job of portraying nearly all species of timber. It's a geat resource.
Perhaps the cabinets were not made at the factory. In the late fifties and early sixties a lot of people would make there own cabinets from plans from Altec. It was called do it yourself. From University and Karlson you could order the cabs in a precut kit, your choice of veneer, and assemble. Asking price, out of my range, but I bet they sound awsome on a tube amp.
Bookmarks